Cowgirls for Jesus, a SYNC community group, has started a new program dedicated to enriching the lives of high-risk and underprivileged youth by introducing them to one of God’s most majestic creatures, the horse. Pathfinders will supply the kids and SYNC’s Cowgirls will bring the horses. They don’t get to jump on a horse right away, though! They must first learn the ins-and-outs of handling the horses and the equipment, including an introduction to equine etiquette (horse etiquette).
Many of us know that animals can be a great equalizer for people with special needs. Designated as “Children in Transition” by Washoe County School District, they may be homeless or moving from motel to motel, have parents in prison or working as prostitutes, or be in families imprisoned by drugs or alcohol, creating family environments that are so dysfunctional that the needs can be very intense. This will give these teenagers something to look forward to – the opportunity to do something extraordinary and memorable while getting a break from the tension that tends to be a constant in their lives.
When they aren’t exploring the world of horses, high-school teens will have the opportunity to go on outings, enjoy movies, have discussions in a safe environment and enrich their lives through relevant Bible study and exploration. The Cowgirls had their first meeting on April 1st on a ranch in Spanish Springs and are planning to meet monthly hereafter. Watch this page for updates. Yee Haw!
YOU CAN HELP!
If you love horses and if you love kids, this is your chance to be a part of something that combines them both. The Cowgirls can use your help.
- Volunteers are needed – the more the merrier! For program information call Carol 775/815-6203 or e-mail Sherie, Morrill417@charter.net.
- Christian volunteers are asked to contact Stephanie Hinen, Executive Assistant at Pathfinders, 775/376-4192. She will get you on the schedule for a four-hour session that will help you to understand the world that these teens come from, learn what to expect, and explore how to respond when working with them.
- The youths will be needing helmets, gloves, riding boots, western wear and possibly some smaller tack. Check the back of your tack room and put some of that dusty tack where it will do some good. If you can donate any of these items they will be gratefully received and well used.
- Cowgirls for Jesus are collecting tack and western wear for a fundraiser to be held within the next month or so. THEY ARE CURRENTLY SEEKING A LOCATION FOR THIS EVENT. WATCH THIS WEBSITE FOR MORE INFORMATION. Donations of any tack items, if not usable for the kids, will be sold here and the funds will go toward purchasing what these youths will need.
- They will need energy snacks, so health bars, juice, water or gift certificates for groceries would be a great gift!
- DON’T BE SHY — IF YOU KNOW ANYONE IN THE WORLD OF EQUINES, SPREAD THE WORD!
(Submitted by Joan Campbell)